Engineering Analysis 3

From Mech
Jump to navigationJump to search

EA3 System Dynamics, Spring Quarter 2023


Instructors, TAs, and Sections

  • Section 21, 10-10:50 MWF, Tech M345; Tuesday, Tech M345
    • Instructor: Prof. Kevin Lynch,
    • TAs:
  • Section 20, 11-11:50 MWF, Pancoe Auditorium; Tuesday, Frances Searle 1421
    • Instructor: Prof. Jeremy Keys,
    • TAs:
  • Section 23, 1-1:50 MWF, Pancoe Auditorium; Tuesday, Annenberg G15
    • Instructor: Prof. Cheng Sun,
    • TAs:
  • Section 22, 2-2:50 MWF, Pancoe Auditorium; Tuesday, Tech L211.
    • Instructor: Prof. Sandip Ghosal,
    • TAs:




  • Ayesha Ahmed,
  • Caralyn Collins,
  • Shizhou Jiang,
  • Shuting Lai,
  • Haklae Lee,
  • Rui Li,
  • Asma Meem,
  • Nibir Pathak,
  • Dono Toussaint,

Course Summary

EA3 focuses on the modeling of dynamic systems, the reduction of models to differential equations of motion, and some exploration of the system behavior relating to the solution of those equations.

The goal is to learn system modeling across disparate physical domains (mechanical, electrical systems). We will typically proceed using the following steps:

  • to understand the elements of each domain (e.g. spring, capacitor; or force, voltage)
  • to express precisely the way in which the elements interact (e.g. free-body diagrams, circuit diagrams)
  • to reduce the idealized systems to equations
  • to understand the behavior of the system by solving equations

There will be a strong emphasis on understanding how physical processes are described by mathematical equations.

Course Policies

Supportive Class Environment

All members of this class (instructors, TAs, students) are expected to contribute to a respectful, inclusive, and supportive environment for every other member of the class.

We are all partners in your education; help us help you get the most out of this class. Please engage during class meetings.

Honor Code

You are encouraged to discuss the material with the instructor, course assistants, and your classmates, but you are not allowed to copy answers or code or share your answers or code with others. Anyone copying answers or code, or providing answers or code, or becoming aware of others doing so without reporting to the instructor, is in violation of the honor code.

Academic Support and Learning Advancement (ASLA)

Northwestern's Academic Support and Learning Advancement office offers peer-guided study groups, drop-in peer tutoring, individual and group peer academic coaching, and consultations to help students navigate their academic paths and refine their study strategies.


Three quizzes count for 90% of your class grade. Homeworks account for the remaining 10%. Each quiz is in class (50 minutes). Students must attend the quiz in their own section, and the quizzes in each section will be different. Grades are assigned in each section independently of the other sections. There is no final exam during finals week.


Assignments must be submitted electronically through Canvas. Late assignments are not accepted. No exceptions, so please don't ask. Your lowest homework grade will be dropped from the calculation of your homework score.

Syllabus and Web Textbook

General Introduction

Mechanical Systems

Electrical Systems