NU32 Book Errata
Below are errata for the book "Embedded Computing and Mechatronics with the PIC32 Microcontroller," Kevin M. Lynch, Nicholas Marchuk, and Matthew L. Elwin, Newnes/Elsevier 2015. For succinctness, typos are other minor errors that cannot lead to confusion are not reported here.
Throughout the book
- Due to fixed-width fonts chosen for typesetting code, sometimes two consecutive underscores _ _ appear as a single long line, and sometimes two consecutive minus signs -- appear as a single long line. For example, some code listings using the _ _ ISR macro appear to have a single long line before the ISR.
Chapter 3: Software
- page 43: The last line of typeset code should begin
- page 47: The description of bit fields near the bottom of the page is misleading. Each named set of bits is a bit field. The
structs are collections of bit fields.
Chapter 6: Interrupts
- page 103: The line of code beginning
IPC0bits.INT0ISsets the interrupt subpriority, not priority.
- page 109, question 9, should mention IFS0bits, too.
Chapter 7: Digital Input and Output
- page 117, description of ODCx: The code line should read TRISDbits.TRISD8 = 0, not TRISbits.TRISD8 = 0.
Chapter 10: Analog Input
- page 151, last line of description of SFR AD1CHS: AD1CHS.CHOSA should be AD1CHS.CH0SA (a zero insted of an "oh").
Chapter 21: Sensors
- The Greek letter psi in the summation block of Figure 21.22 (bottom) should be an uppercase sigma.
Chapter 22: Digital Signal Processing
- page 354, second-to-last sentence: should say "ratio G of their amplitudes"
Chapter 25: Brushed Permanent Magnet DC Motors
- page 416, Figure 25.14: The comment on "mechanical time constant" appears to refer to kt2 but it should be .
Appendix A: A Crash Course in C
- page 523:
- page 564: After the gray box with
int sscanf..., the next line should say "Instead of scanning from the keyboard,
Appendix B: Circuits Review
- page 595: In the first sentence of "Application: Switch debouncing", it should read "clean falling edge from V to GND," not "clean falling edge from GND to V."
- page 602: The sentence after the first set of bullets should say "When IE > 0, the power dissipated by the transistor is IBVBE,on + ICVCE."